•  
  • Start New Topic
  • Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Google Log In with Steam      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

I'm not sure what's wrong with my internet.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 Fin852

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:21 AM

So... My download speed is only 800KBps. on average,  and I check on http://www.speedtest.net/, and on average I get 5MBps. Which kind of worries me. I know that the closer the server is the better the connection... Though, what bothers me is that I only get 800KBps out of a whole 5MBps. I even check on my router and I should be getting higher speeds. I'm using an integrated network adapter, running wired connection. I think the problem overall though, is that I have U-verse. Though I have the most expensive package, and I should be at about 20MBps, which bother me more because I'm spending more money than what I should be for a crappier connection with only 800KBps downloads and crappy game connections. I mean, I'm okay when it comes to online gaming, but I'm just wasting so much money on U-verse. The main thing is though.. I can't change providers, because of my area.. So does anyone have some tips to help me out?

Posted Image

#2 bentbarrel

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:29 AM

POPULAR

If you are paying for 20MBps down and you are only getting 5MBps, you should call your provider and get that worked out.

But if speedtest.net is telling you 5MBps, and you are downloading files at 800K, that might not be an issue at all. You can only download things as quick as the server on the other end can upload the file to you. I have 50MBps down, but I rarely download a file at more than 5MBps.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 Fin852

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:39 AM

Well, on steam servers, what is your average download speed Bent?

Also, I might just get that settled with my provider. I just hate waiting on the phone for 3 hours and still not getting the problem fixed, and then getting a stupid service fee for calling and not getting the problem fixed. Then when I try to get the service fee revoked they give me another service fee and just blah blah blah, I could go on for hours how much I hate dealing with my provider.

Posted Image

#4 bentbarrel

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:44 AM

I think I get my fastest downloads from Steam, maybe 6-7MBps, which is nothing compared to the 58.56MBps that speedtest.net gives me (in my sig).

Getting charged just to give support a call is terrible. Do you have any alternatives to U-Verse?

Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 Fin852

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:48 AM

I could go with Comcast, which I know is good in most areas, sadly if you're in my area and you have Comcast it is terrible. Also I could get Dish internet, but over here it is very expensive. Which is sad because I live in Houston which is like.. The Second largest city in the U.S. I'm waiting till Google internet gets down here.

Posted Image

#6 bentbarrel

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:55 AM

Isn't Google Fiber going to Austin, not Houston?

Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 Fin852

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:00 AM

Well, it's going to Austin, but the only reason it's not in Houston is because AT&T is lobbying the higher ups to not allowing Google fiber to branch out in to Houston. So at the moment they're denying that Google Fiber can even set up down here, but it will soon.. There's petitions up and what not, but sadly the latest we'll see a glimpse of it will be in about 4-6 months.

Posted Image

#8 Pwnd

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:37 PM

I can resolve this issue: it's the difference between bits and bytes. A byte contains 8 bits. This means the speed in Mbit/s /8=speed in MByte. That is the difference, If you get 800KB/s that would equal 6.4Mbit/s. Though if you pay for 20Mbit/s you should get 2.5MB/s (the capital B means byte, the lowercase one means bit). I'd contact the ISP.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#9 Fin852

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:19 PM

I know the difference between a byte and a bit. I know for a fact that I should get a 20MBps speed. Though, I already contacted them and they said that they forgot to upgrade my router, so they will come next week and just fix that up.

Edited by Fin852, 27 June 2013 - 11:22 PM.

Posted Image

#10 jorricks

jorricks
  • Users
  • 398 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands
  • Games:Battlefield 3

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:24 PM

I know the difference between a byte and a bit. I know for a fact that I should get a 20MBps speed. Though, I already contacted them and they said that they forgot to upgrade my router, so they will come next week and just fix that up.

alright, good to hear, I was also not sure whether you knew.

Join the wait-list with me, I'm also waiting on a fiber connection which will come in November, or well they said it would be there then.. :P

Posted Image

#11 agent yak

agent yak
  • DG| 1st Lieutenant |1LT
  • 1,228 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts, USA
  • Games:Arma 2, Arma 3, DayZ, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Black Ops 2, Call of Duty 4, CS:GO, Diablo 3, L4D 2, Minecraft, Red Orchestra 2, Rust, Starcraft 2

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:21 PM

Another thing to keep in mind, if you're having a particularly slow day, is talking to other users of the same network as you - your interwebz maker company gives the certain amount of bandwidth to the network that you're on, and if no one installs programs to keep their personal bandwidth fair, then sometimes people will be using more than their fair share. Oftentimes torrenting can practically paralyze everyone on a network except for the user torrenting, but things like that can be easily solved by asking around to see who is using the most bandwidth intensive programs at the time and requesting that they shut them off.

Also keep in mind that other people do use your network, so you should try and keep your bandwidth usage to a fair amount. If you need to do large downloads or uploads, set them up to go overnight!

Thanks,

-Yak

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

')
Change Theme!