•  
  • Start New Topic
  • Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Google Log In with Steam      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Just another lag topic

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 Invisabit

Invisabit
  • DG| Major |MJR
  • 1,571 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota, USA
  • Games:DayZ, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Black Ops 2, Call of Duty 4, Diablo 3, Dota 2, L4D 2, League of Legends, Minecraft, Starcraft 2

Steam Profile

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:28 PM

So the problem I'm getting is when I play games like dota or guild wars 2 , the game will just pause, but not completely freeze every minute or so. I have a great rig and a fast connection (50 down 10 up), so I don't know what is causing it. Right now I'm connected to the router by a 100 ft cable. The only thing I could think to do is to disconnect devices that are connected to the router. I have quite a few things connected wirelessly, and 3 things wired. What should I do? Thanks for the help!

Posted Image

"My name will bring fear at the gates of hell"

IMPOSSIBLE

#2 jorricks

jorricks
  • Users
  • 398 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands
  • Games:Battlefield 3

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:20 PM

Overal the problem shouldn't be your router, and so not the wireless connections but it is possible.
I would search for if other people have similar problems with their router, (of course search for our router model..)
I know my router is capable of good connections but when I get a torrent downloading at the background and it sets up more then x amount of connections, it will drop connection with the game servers which will cause me to get set back(like a ft or something..) every 5-10 seconds..
Post your router model here and I'll do some searching for you too..
Btw do you have the latest firmware?

Posted Image

#3 Kodi

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:26 PM

If you can help it try not to be running it through a 100ft cable because a cable as long as that can cause latency 

GJNOJWe.png1001007_10200221646360605_1786980847_n.jfs_pc.png

#4 jorricks

jorricks
  • Users
  • 398 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands
  • Games:Battlefield 3

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:11 AM

If you can help it try not to be running it through a 100ft cable because a cable as long as that can cause latency 

that depence on the cable, if it's cat5 or cat6 there shouldn't be a problem.. I have a 12 meter.. around 40 ft cable and believe me there isn't a single difference...

anyway let us know how it's going alright?

Posted Image

#5 AsseyMcGee

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:17 PM

Anything under 300 feet for CAT 5 is completely acceptable..  "source" CCNA .... I would recommend running a cable to your pc and see if it fixes the issue its the easiest thing to try. Many entry level "routers" and wireless adapters will have bad ping spikes during prolonged periods of continuous use.. they work great for bursts like surfing the web or buffering but prolonged usage you can easily see some huge ping spikes like into the thousands causing some choppy gameplay. If keeping a cable running to your PC is not really an option but it fixes the issue look into getting a powerline adapter.. Its not as good as actually running cat5 but its far superior to wireless.

#6 MinnyMaus

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:50 AM

Out of curiosity is this at your dorm?

1310245665-0cafd8f926b864b3df36917f1f8b4

#7 ShockBlaze

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:56 AM

I don't think anything is wrong with the cable. Maybe it's your router or modem dropping connection every so often? Idk.

#8 firemonkey

firemonkey
  • DG| 2nd Lieutenant |2LT
  • 1,000 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:45 PM

I experienced a very similar thing. It was my router that was causing it. Ask next_generation for a good router suggestion. Also make sure your router firmware is up to date. Could be an issue with the routing firmware and it's dropping packets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

')
Change Theme!