•  
  • Start New Topic
  • Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Google Log In with Steam      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Priority internet user

internet slow internet

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 Dude

Dude
  • Users
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands
  • Nickname:The Gif Guy
  • Games:Arma 2, DayZ, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Diablo 3, L4D 2, Red Orchestra 2, Starcraft 2

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:03 AM

When my brother is home, he leeches almost all the bandwith, this makes it impossible for me to play online games (600 ping). Is there any way to make my computer a primary internet user so that all the bandwith first goes to me and then to the rest of the devices connected to the router?

IlliterateWideeyedDeinonychus.gifWateryYearlyCivet.gif

#2 jorricks

jorricks
  • Users
  • 398 posts
  • Games:Battlefield 3

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:57 PM

Overal: no, not the way to ask it..

Long answer:

I searched for this before too, and there is no real way to do this without buying over thousand dollars of hardware..
Although I believe you can set a maximum usage of bandwith for each user in some routers, this would work but your brother will always have low bandwith and the chances your router supports it are very low..
You should do a google search on that with your router model to be sure ;)

An example what I'm talking about:

Also almost every router can use DD-WRT, if you have that take a look here:

http://www.kczon.com...h-users-router/

Edited by jorricks, 12 July 2013 - 04:00 PM.

Posted Image

#3 wizdum

wizdum
  • Users
  • 213 posts
  • LocationBangor, Maine
  • Games:Battlefield 3, L4D 2

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:26 PM

Long answer:

I searched for this before too, and there is no real way to do this without buying over thousand dollars of hardware..
Although I believe you can set a maximum usage of bandwith for each user in some routers, this would work but your brother will always have low bandwith and the chances your router supports it are very low..

PFsense FTW! You can run it on pretty much anything that has two network cards. Lots of people use sub $100 Atom machines, or used small formfactor PCs from eBay, or even just an old PC they have laying around. Anything with a 1ghz single core CPU and 2gb of ram will work. A Ubiquiti EdgeRouter lite would also work, for about $120.

"Always expect trouble. Failing that, create trouble for someone else."

#4 jorricks

jorricks
  • Users
  • 398 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:08 AM

Long answer:

PFsense FTW! You can run it on pretty much anything that has two network cards. Lots of people use sub $100 Atom machines, or used small formfactor PCs from eBay, or even just an old PC they have laying around. Anything with a 1ghz single core CPU and 2gb of ram will work. A Ubiquiti EdgeRouter lite would also work, for about $120.

Haha I just googled it, to be fair I never heard of it before :P

Good to hear you have such good experience with it :)!

The thing is though with a good new router running on DD-WRT you can do the same..

Posted Image

#5 Pwnd

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:46 AM

Not sure, but QoS should do the trick? Maybe there is someone with experience of that sorta shit here.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#6 jorricks

jorricks
  • Users
  • 398 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:25 PM

Not sure, but QoS should do the trick? Maybe there is someone with experience of that sorta shit here.

Hmmm that's also an option although I know my router doesn't do a single thing with it if it's enabled.

I believe you need to have a really good router to get a decent QoS management..

Posted Image

#7 Dude

Dude
  • Users
  • 1,723 posts
  • Nickname:The Gif Guy
  • Games:Arma 2, DayZ, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Diablo 3, L4D 2, Red Orchestra 2, Starcraft 2

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:49 AM

Thanks for your help everybody! Don't think I have the router to do this :( guess I have to pull his internet cable the old-fashioned way :D

IlliterateWideeyedDeinonychus.gifWateryYearlyCivet.gif

#8 cruxoffate

cruxoffate
  • DG| Sergeant Major |SGM
  • 413 posts
  • Company:2nd Company
  • Platoon:3rd Platoon
  • Games:Diablo 3, L4D 2, League of Legends, Minecraft

Steam Profile

• Pheri - Offline
    Since: Sep 20 2017 06:56 PM
    9 hrs last 2 weeks.
    Add Friend

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:59 AM

Just poking around in the dark here but.....

Turn off IP-flood protection in your router.  It's most likely a torrent program overloading the router's limited processing power with fire-wall rules.

Alternatively your ISP could be throttling your connection if it detects torrenting.. in that case you should try to obfuscate your traffic better. ;)

There are only two rules for success:
1. Never tell all that you know.

Posted Image
"Killing is not great" - Light

#9 Pwnd

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

Are ISP's allowed to throttle in the US?  They banned that in the EU, only in 'Murica....

#10 wizdum

wizdum
  • Users
  • 213 posts
  • LocationBangor, Maine

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:27 PM

Are ISP's allowed to throttle in the US?  They banned that in the EU, only in 'Murica....

They are allowed to throttle and charge overages, though a lot of them have stopped doing it. The rules are still there, they just dont enforce them anymore. What gets me is the wireless ISP and cell providers. You can get "unlimited" data plans, but "unlimited" means 2gb or 5gb. Welcome to the land of state sponsored monopolies. The monopoly in my state is so bad, all the little ISPs banded together to form the "Maine Fiber Company" and run their own fiber optic backbone.

Edited by wizdum, 15 July 2013 - 02:28 PM.

#11 Pwnd

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:34 PM

That's.... silly. You must pay bucketloads of money for a connection then? I can get 60/6 including tv and Phone for around $80.

#12 wizdum

wizdum
  • Users
  • 213 posts
  • LocationBangor, Maine

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:45 PM

That's.... silly. You must pay bucketloads of money for a connection then? I can get 60/6 including tv and Phone for around $80.

Its not as bad as it used to be, 50/5 costs about $90 a month, without TV or Phone. If you keep calling them and threatening to cancel, you can keep the $80/month promo price. This is only available in rural areas though. The only competition is DSL at 3mbit/0.7bit for $50 a month. This is in the second largest city in the state. The company that runs the phone lines can't keep the network up most of the time, has been bailed out of bankruptcy by my state 3 times in 5 years, and is still using copper on poles that were set up for telegraph lines. When its windy the insulation falls off the wires like snow. The biggest problem is all the limits. If you plan to actually use your connection, they throttle you. You can't host any servers, or upload too much, or they throttle you.

Theres fiber everywhere, but its only available for businesses, at a premium. I could get 10gig symmetrical fiber at my house, but it would be about $10,000 a month. A 100/100 line is about $2500 a month, and i'm considering it.

Whats really interesting, is that every time Google Fiber or FIOS enters a market, the prices of the existing ISP plummet, and speeds increase. Almost like prices are being kept artificially high due to lack of competition....

Edited by wizdum, 15 July 2013 - 02:47 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: internet, slow internet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

')
Change Theme!