•  
  • Start New Topic
  • Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Google Log In with Steam      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

So I heard you live in an area with crap internet....

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 AsseyMcGee

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:38 PM

So I recently had to relocate for a better job. Now this relocation meant moving to a smaller more rural town with a population around 10k. After moving I discover that the local cable provider is some private local company that sells 6mb connection for $65 a month and the only alternative was windstream who also only offers a 6mb connection. Now for gaming purposes honestly a 6MB connection is perfectly fine especially being low latency DSL however downloading anything from steam would be absolutely painful and multitasking would be nearly impossible like streaming netflix and playing a game at the same time. So i came up with a solution. I called up windstream and asked if they charged extra for a second phone line to be installed. they said there was no charge for pulling the extra pair to the apartment so I proceeded and ordered two phone lines and two 6mb dsl connections. then I use An older Dell desktop pc with two extra NICS installed running PF sense with routes for load balancing the two connections. Then that LAN runs into another old dell PC running untangle for antivirus, popup blocking, add blocking all that fun stuff. Now i was a little skeptical about this setup as i assumed when I downloaded something via steam i would still only get 6mb down but still have another 6mb from the second connection to do other stuff with. This is not the case Steam it appears uses protocols for downloads similar to torrents thus there are multiple connections established during a download allowing me to take full advantage of my 12mb. I have also discovered that UPNP enable multiplayer games do the same thing so overall im extremely happy with this setup considering. If anyone else out there also lives in an area with crap speed connections and is interested in doing this as well I can do a full write up on how to set everything up as far as PFsense goes and the modems, etc.   I really do find this an acceptable solution for those of us living in rural areas.

#2 Saturn

Saturn
  • Users
  • 40 posts
  • Games:Battlefield 3, Black Ops 2, Ghosts, Dota 2, Minecraft

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:45 PM

Hmm,smart! Thanks for sharing.

#3 Soopa

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:33 PM

do you mean its 6 MB/s or 6 Mbps? There is a huge difference. My internet is 50mbps, which is the best thing offered in my area. It's very pathetic that these monstrous corporations in this county can't provide solid internet when countries like South Korea can. Pathetic.

#4 firemonkey

firemonkey
  • DG| 2nd Lieutenant |2LT
  • 1,000 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:22 PM

So your paying over $130/month for 12 Mbps ? A little steep, but considering your situation its better than nothing :)

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image Posted Image

#5 AsseyMcGee

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:21 PM

its 6mbps per connection. The DSL connections through windstream are $50 a month the local cable company is $65 a month and wont do two connections. so yeah im paying $100 a month for essentially 12mbps internet but its legitimately the best I could possibly get I even asked about business connections and was basiclly willing to pay whatever I mean my life revolves around the internet. I have to say it sucks as where i moved from I had 50mbps cable but the DSL does have a lot less latency I consistently get 25-30ms pings with this dual DSL setup where with my old cable connection it was a good day to be in the mid 50s.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

')
Change Theme!