There's general things to keep in mind if one is trying to get anywhere on YouTube, typically they are just general concepts as there are no clear cut path to success (it's a huge amount of blind luck)
1. Branding: develop a way to make your videos stand out from the pack, lots of people upload gameplay but the ones that get views are the ones that do something with it creatively
2. Length: when starting out, keep videos short and to the point, once you get a following (with views per video, not subscribers) you can start branching into longer videos. (I recommend no more than 6 minutes)
3. Edit edit edit. This helps branding a lot. Unless you are exceptionally good at a game and people want to watch you 'do your thing' to learn from you (think someone doing a tough raid, going 40-0, something at the highest difficulty etc etc) you're gonna want to cut down your video and develop pacing in it. Have the video flow naturally so that it brings moments of excitement, then a moment to breathe. This especially helps later on with longer videos. Poor pacing is what makes people stop watching.
4. Learn better editing programs and photoshop. Photoshop is absolutely essential for thumbnails, which again go back to developing your brand. Learning a better editing program also gives you better tools to add style to your video. Start with Adobe Premiere.
5. Be aware of competitors and market trends. For example, I wouldn't try to launch an over watch gameplay channel right now, people who already have a following are doing the exact same thing. A good way to get footing is to find a game with a player base, that you're good at, that doesn't have a strong YouTube presense. A lot of you tubers got places by covering games before other people did. Don't be part of the supply, be part of the demand. Even if it is a popular game. Do something new with it. Beat it using only a dancepad, new mods, speed runs etc.
6. Post with a schedule, have a set time and day to post videos and stick with it. Consistency keeps people around.
Edited by Vissari, 25 May 2016 - 02:40 PM.